Chill Party

We are the chill party: collaborations between scotland and pakistan. The motive of this forum is to keep in contact even though we are back in to our routines. The other motive is to maintaiin the good feeling and togetherness we established in august 20

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Nida Question!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nida

PostSubject: Nida Question!   Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 am

I have a very specific question for evry1!

okay please answer this very seriously...

I am writing a dissertaion ( 8000 word essay) this year on a subject of my choice relating with Architecture.
This is a very important part of my degree.

I am stuck between these topics...

1. GLOBALIZATION OF ARCHITECTURE, is it appropriate to have modern architecture in the eartern world, without taking into account their warm climate and strong cultural heritage of building style.????? ( as now in the world a building in china or dubai can look very similar to a building in UK or america)

2. ARCHITECTURE AS CULTURAL PRODUCTION, how does a building show its culture and heritage? how important is it to decorate or use ornaments to show culture?

3. THE CHALLENGE OF THE 21ST CENTURY, we have a new world, a new culture, so is a new building style appropriate ( Analyse economy, technology, social life, business, etc.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yaseen

PostSubject: Nida Question   Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Nida three days and nobody has replied Laughing Laughing Laughing

Anyway I will attempt to answer your question, but beware it will be from an engineering perspective

You have three topics that you are pondering over and yet all three topics merit discussion. I personally think you can choose any of the three topics.

The first topic - Globalisation of architecture, I can say as an engineer that this is not advisable to do as long as we are confronted with an energy crisis, very possible technically but it does not allow culture to flourish. A common identity will make the world more boring, Buildings can become the identity of a nation. Taj Mahal for India, Eiffel Tower for France, Buckingham Palace for UK, Empire State Building, Whitehouse for US and many many more. Imagine if Nana's house was made in the UK, we would freeze in the winter. Now imagine our airtight house built in Pakistan, we wouldn't be able to live without air conditioning. In Dubai you may have realised that because everything is designed like the west, air conditioning is a mandatory requirement. Maybe there is an architectural manner in which ventilation strategy and solar gains can be optimised for a more comprehensive building fit for the middle east, there was a seminar about this lately, unforutnately I didn't attend it.

Buildings should be constructed so that it's occupant can remain comfortable. I would like to see culture not lost and I think this first topic you can easily get 8000 words for because it is such a vast subject but lots of research required

Nida this is the chill party forum, so remain chill and you'll get through your honours year!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Junaid Alam

PostSubject: Re: Nida Question!   Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Yaar Nida,

I observe yr question & I sense that this shd be answered with some concentration.
I am in a huge load of work right-now & hopefully wl observe & gv comments , once hv a relax mind.

Yaseen,
It is good to share the views & ideas by asking something, wether the topic is boring or not.
No matter,, It is a good practice.

I appreciate.

Thanks
Junaid
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tsm.com.pk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nida Question!   

Back to top Go down

Nida Question!
Page 1 of 1